The High Point Academy learning community of teachers, support staff administrators, and families, have written this compact to outline how the entire school staff and students will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement and the means by which the school and parents will build and develop a partnership to help children achieve the State’s high standards.
Our School’s Responsibilities
High Point Academy administrators, teachers, and support staff will:
1. Provide high-quality curriculum and instruction in a supportive and effective learning environment that enables children to meet the State’s student academic achievement standards as follows:
- Provide targeted academic and behavioral supports to students ensuring all subgroups of students meet their learning targets
- Ensure a safe environment conducive to learning
- Progress monitoring with formative assessments is used for all students to ensure all students make at least a year’s growth in Reading and Math
- Curriculum is aligned to State Academic Content Standards
- Enrichment activities are provided to enhance and support higher – level
2. Hold parent-teacher conferences in the first nine weeks each year during which this compact will be discussed as it relates to the individual child’s achievement. Specifically, those conferences will be held:
- Schedule conferences are held monthly. Parents and teachers may also schedule conferences as needed throughout the school year.
3. Provide parents with frequent reports on their child’s progress. Specifically, the school will provide reports as follows:
- Interim reports are sent home for parents to review four times a year, mid-‐quarter. Parents are invited to ask questions about their child’s report.
- Report cards are sent home quarterly. Parents are invited to contact their child’s teacher with questions.
4. Provide parents with reasonable access to staff. Specifically, staff will be available for consultation with parents as follows:
- Phone and voicemail
- Written notes in child’s agenda (daily assignment logs)
- One scheduled conference a year and additional conferences as requested by the parent or teacher.
5. Provide parents opportunities to support their child’s education and the education of all High Point Academy school students by participating in High Point Academy school as follows:
- Join children for lunch
- Chaperone field trips
- Observe classrooms
- Serving on the PTO
- Volunteering as a tutor, mentor or activity leader
- Assist in an area of the school such as our children’s classroom, library, and playground
- Attend school events such as Open House, performances, field day, etc.
- Help to review Title I plan and compacts.
- Participate on High Point Academy District committees
High Point Academy families will support our children’s learning in the following ways:
- Ensuring our children attend school and come to school on time
- Reading and signing student agendas daily
- Helping children complete homework to the best of their ability
- Encouraging children to do their best work
- Helping children understand directions for assignments
- Talking with your children about learning and school in a positive way
- Notifying the teacher when our child has difficulty completing homework assignments
- Keeping in contact with our child’s teacher
- Attending our children’s parent-teacher conferences and other meetings pertaining to our children
- Monitoring the amount of television and the types of television programs our children watch
- Participating, as appropriate, in decision relating to our children’s education
- Promoting positive use of our child’s time at home and in the community
- Staying informed about our child’s education and communicating with the school by promptly reading all notices from the school or the school district either received by my child or by mail and responding, as appropriate.
High Point Academy Families are able to participate in our school by:
- Advocating for our children
- Attending school events such as Open House, musical performances, field day,
- Attending PTO meetings
- Volunteering as a reading tutor or mentor
- Assisting in an area of the school such as:
- School store
- Book fairs
- Helping to review Title I plan and compact
- Participating on High Point Academy district committees
- Attending school board meetings
Students will share the responsibility to improve our academic achievement and achieve the state’s high standards.
Specifically, I will
- Take responsibility for my own behavior
- Come to school with supplies, ready to learn and determined to do my best
- Cooperate, listen, follow directions and ask for help when I need it
- Complete and return all homework assignments
- Return all materials that require a parent’s signature
- Respect other students, adults, and their property
- Take care of my school and do what I can to make it better