The High Point Academy (Spartanburg, SC) Board of Directors has retained the South Carolina Public Charter School District to assist in the search for the new Superintendent. The Board of Directors invites applications and nominations for the position through January 31, 2021.
All applicants should demonstrate a proven record of exceptional leadership with the following additional qualifications:
• A leader with a vision of educational excellence who will work cooperatively with the Board of Directors to build relationships with students, faculty and staff, parents, and the community to achieve academic excellence for all students.
• A leader who can analyze current situations, initiate appropriate action, inform the Board of Directors when advisable, and provide leadership in the development of short-and long-term goals for High Point Academy.
• A visible, accessible, approachable leader committed to building mutual respect and trust and serving as a model and mentor among faculty and staff.
• An articulate communicator and innovative change agent with strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work creatively, effectively, and visibly with board members, faculty and staff, students, parents, and the community.
• A person who understands the complexities of charter school finance can interpret educational and financial data and maximize the use of resources to support the school's educational programs.
• An administrator with a thorough knowledge of and successful experience in K-12 charter school leadership and management, including information technology, staff development, program assessment, accountability measures, and school improvement.
A doctoral degree from an accredited college or university is preferred. Previous superintendent experience is preferred. Candidates must be certified or eligible for certification as a superintendent in South Carolina. If you do not hold a South Carolina superintendent’s certificate, please contact the Office of Educator Licensure, South Carolina Department of Education, 803-896-0325, [email protected]
*Applicants will be required to demonstrate their ability to meet all certification
requirements before finalist interviews being conducted.
Offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package, including state insurance offered through the South Carolina Public Employee Benefit Authority (PEBA) and the South Carolina Retirement System(SCRS).
Applicants are requested to submit all of the following: (Please note where pieces are to be submitted.)
*Submit to following pieces and direct all inquiries to [email protected]
by January 31, 2021.
• A letter of interest in this position
• A current resume and transcripts
• Three recent letters of reference written within the last six months
*Complete the HPA application below when the first 3 pieces are submitted by January 31, 2021.
Why the New Superintendent Search?
Our current Interim Superintendent is Dr. Brodie Bricker, who took the helm of High Point Academy in June 2019. Dr. Bricker has served in school leadership for more than 40 years. His extensive experience as an administrator has enabled him to be the leader to take High Point Academy to the next level as a South Carolina Charter School. Dr. Bricker is transitioning into another phase of his life, and this has prompted the need for a new superintendent of High Point Academy. Since coming to HPA, Dr. Bricker has accomplished the following:
• Developed a well-qualified and effective administrative leadership team
• Led in the enhancement of facilities, including opening our new gymnasium
• Has led to the growth of highly qualified and effective teaching staff. Our teacher certification rate is 96%
• Has worked with community leaders to bring more community recognition to our school
• Has boosted the atmosphere of professionalism and enthusiasm among the administration and staff
• Has led administrators and teachers in developing our virtual learning system during COVID
• Has led in the development of school pride and accomplishment within our student body
• Has led in visionary planning for growth and expansion into the future
About High Point Academy
High Point Academy Spartanburg, SC is a free public charter school founded in 2014. We are Spartanburg County’s only charter school serving students in kindergarten through 12th-grades. Students are admitted without regard to race, religion, gender, creed, national origin, disability, or socioeconomic status. Our mission is to educate, help every student feel welcome, connect, and be a part of the High Point Academy family. High Point Academy Spartanburg is built on the principles of honor, integrity, and service. Our student outcomes speak to strong academics and innovative teaching and learning - both in and out of the classroom. High Point Academy Spartanburg is one of more than 30 school members of the South Carolina Public Charter School District.
High Point Academy is a thriving community of learners with 3 schools under one roof, elementary, middle, and high school. HPA is led by certified teachers anchored in an applied learning style of instruction with an emphasis in S.T.E.A.M. (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) education and character development and leadership training. HPA total enrollment is approximately 1,220 students this year and is staffed by a faculty of 95% certified teachers. Within HPA, the elementary school serves grades K-5, the middle school serves grades 6-8, and high school is 9-12. Our students have the opportunity to take a variety of classes during the school day: piano, American Sign Language, Spanish, chorus/music, theater, art, band, dance, robotics, physical education, weight training, STEAM, PLTW, keyboarding, Driver’s Education, Personal Finance, and Dual Credit college courses both on and off-campus. Additionally, we have added many clubs that meet during the school day and after school. These clubs include NHS, Beta Club, Girls on the Run, HS Art Club, ASL Club, Theater Club, 4-H Pet Pals, Lego, and Junior Vet, and many others. Students also can showcase their skills in theater productions, honor choir, art shows, and competitions in our high school SkillsUSA club. Students have the opportunity to compete in areas of Dye Sublimation/t-shirt design, Advertising Design, Entrepreneurship, Television (Video) Production, medical terminology, and various other areas are all grounded in career and technology classes taught at HPA. The career classes offered in high school lead to certifications, internships (some paid), apprenticeships, and careers right after school or finding part-time work either in high school or at college. Students can complete a three or four class program in General Management, Business Information Management, Graphic Communications, Broadcasting, Media-Tech, Digital Art & Design, and Drone Piloting. Students also have the opportunity to take state-approved industry credentialing tests upon completion of these programs in Adobe, QuickBooks Certified User, Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM), OSHA 10, Praxis Core, and FAA Drone Piloting. Graduates leave with a working resume through Tallo, soft skill training, and career-focused goals with a college and/or the workforce plan. High Point Academy works diligently to provide job shadowing and internship opportunities with local organizations and companies.
On December 1, 2020, High Point Academy held a ribbon-cutting to officially open The Grizzly Den. HPA’s state-of-the-art sports complex includes both a main and auxiliary court with a weight facility. Beyond academics, High Point Academy offers many sporting opportunities. Students can participate in wrestling, volleyball, cross country, basketball, softball, baseball, soccer, and cheerleading. Our school is excited to enrich the lives of the students and families who call High Point Academy their school of choice. We are honored to serve them and our community.